Skip to main content

Unexpected Recognition


When I was young, the purpose of a phone was to talk to someone and pass on messages or get some updates. Now a day’s phone is much more than that! Right from top of the line cameras to music players to whatever you can think of in a palm sized gadget. With the ever changing technological innovations, it is a must for a person to keep buying new phone to be in sync. What has this got to with recognition? Well, it started with me getting a brand new phone (Samsung Galaxy S8+) in the 1st week of this year (2018). After so much analysis and deliberations, which my wife can attest to, I got my hands on the beauty and it was an exhilarating experience. Infinity display, telephoto feature, facial recognition, being some of the features. Underlying to the process of buying the phone was me switching cell phone service provider as well. (FIDO to TELUS).
Day 1: I am showing it off to my friends/family and unlocking/understanding the various features of the phone. A feeling of pride/accomplishment (in a sarcastic way).
Day 2: While at work, I get a call from someone asking for someone else (a very unique name, let’s call the person X). Typical to any wrong call you receive, you make the statement, “I don’t think you dialed the correct number, this is not the person whom you are trying to reach”. God only knows in this age who even “dial” numbers, we all have touch phones and don’t “dial” anymore (Some phrases will not go away).
Same day, in the evening as I am driving back home, I get a call asking for person X again. I took the call via Bluetooth and made the same comment as in the morning. Reach home, another call for person X. This time, I ask the caller which number she dialed and she mentions a totally different number to mine. Being analytical, I mentioned to the caller that, maybe I am receiving all calls for X and to check with person X if they have been receiving any calls at all.
Day 3 & 4: Throughout the day, I get multiple calls for person X. Every time, I was able to pick up the call, I mentioned to the callers that there could potentially be a problem in that I am receiving all the calls for person X and to try contacting person X through other means. I even chit chatted with the callers and had a good laugh. I still did not think it is a big deal and is a normal thing to do.
While discussing with my wife, she even mentioned, that I, don’t get these many number of calls in a month!!! Person X was/is a very popular person, indeed.
Day 5: Still received calls throughout the day and my usual comment when I picked the calls. However, in the evening, person X herself called me! It was a pleasant surprise and she thanked me for taking the calls and being polite to her callers. She indicated that she had switched cell providers and may be some sort of technical issue happened. While chatting she indicated that she has reached out to TELUS (service provider) and they are figuring out what the issue is. I was planning to call TELUS that day as well and she mentioned not to worry as she is talking to them. We texted couple of times and she was very apologetic for no error of hers. Qualities of a good person.

Day 6, 7 & 8: The issue continued; person X and I, still texted for updates and it seems the service provider was perplexed as to how the cross wire is happening. Person X was very apologetic which was so nice of her. I continued to attend calls and ask the caller to call person X through her other number. TELUS even called me couple of times (level 1 and level 2 support staff) to check if they have fixed the error, which obviously was not.
Day 10: Finally, TELUS fixed the issue: they found out that there was a difference of Milli-Micro-Mini-Nano second between when person X’s account and my account was set up and somehow her number was added to my account number!!! Person X and I spoke/texted that day where she continued to thank me for being nice to her customers (which was not required as I felt what I did was minimal work and is the right thing to do).
Day 11, 12, 13: All good and back to routine.
Day 14: Morning, I am at work and I receive a call from a Global news journalist, who identified himself and indicated he would like to chat with me regarding the cross wire issue. I was sure; pretty sure; someone is pranking me. I googled (one word that has definitely changed) the journalist by name and he seemed to be a genuine person and said yes. I hypothesized that the journalist is going to run an article on TELUS and immediately called my best buddy back home in India who is in press services and asked for advice on what to say and what not to say. He gave some sound advice as usual.
The journalist met me near my work place and indicated that person X had provided my number and spoke to her as well. He immediately called his cameraman (my face was like one of the emojis you can think of) and started asking me questions related to the incident. I realized then that the purpose was to run an article on how a stranger can help another stranger in a big city like this. Well my point was, I am glad it turned out to be a help to person X’s customers, but it was a natural thing to do. Guess what: I see the interview show up on the 6:00pm Global news and I had my 2 seconds of fame. The best laugh was one of the callers during the issue was person X’s mom and she thought person X has a new boyfriend! When the interviewer asked me, I was shocked and my words that came out were, “I am happily married with a beautiful person”. (the story was run nationally and link to the same is here: https://globalnews.ca/news/3972200/toronto-apple-watch-glitch/)
Day 15 & 16: Appreciation from my colleagues, people whom I know in the past and many others for the 2 second Celeb status and not for helping someone else . I vaguely felt uncomfortable as I don’t think what I did is worth of such a praise/action. Anyways went with the flow.
Day 19: Got a call from CBC radio for a live in-chat session with person X and the host. Surreal.
Day 23: Went to the live radio show and first time met person X there. Very very nice person. It seems that the callers were customers of person X and if I was rude; she could have potentially lost business. Here is the link to the radio chat: http://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/metro-morning/segment/15495144

I know it is a long article and a bit boring probably. However, the key message is that a small help can go a long way. I have heard the sentence before but realized it after this incident. Directly or indirectly whatever actions we do; has an effect and if it is good, you are going to be recognized.
Leave it for the reader to reflect on their moments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swami Nityananda, Bhagavad Gita & lessons for us.

The word Nityananda literally means "Always Happy" (Nitya - Ananda). Looks like our Swamiji has taken one step ahead and has interpreted the word as "Female- Happy" It is way beyond realisation as to why people do it. Well, I guess that's how it is supposed to be for common man like us ("beyond realisation"). It is very discerning to learn that people who are at the position of intelligence or who preach intelligence and spiritualism set examples like this, there by disposing the very common man of his/her faith in the process. Spiritual process is a way beyond what these godman preach and I am a little dazed to point my finger and say the mistake is in our part. As often said, the person getting cheated is to be blamed, I personally feel that the people who gets entangled into this net is the one to blame.Controversial, but just my thoughts.The article below is an ample evidence for the same. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Godmans-flock-sign

My First Post

Wikipedia Definition of BLOG: A blog (a portmanteau of web log ) is a website where entries are written in chronological order and commonly displayed in reverse chronological order. "Blog" can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog. Blogs provide commentary or news on a particular subject such as food, politics, or local news; some function as more personal online diaries . A typical blog combines text, images, and links to other blogs, web pages, and other media related to its topic. The ability for readers to leave comments in an interactive format is an important part of many blogs. Most blogs are primarily textual, although some focus on art ( artlog ), photographs ( photoblog ), sketchblog , videos ( vlog ), music ( MP3 blog ), audio ( podcasting ) or sexual topics ( Adult blog ), and are part of a wider network of social media . Micro-blogging is another type of blogging which consists of blogs with very short posts. In May 2007,